Book Worm

Book Worm
So many books to read, so little time.

Books to read in 2018

Books to read in 2018
So many books to read, so little time.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

What 2017 meant for me...

I don't have enough words to put into writing when it comes to reflecting what the past year has brought me. My 2016 was indeed much more fulfilling and exciting. I defended my thesis. I graduated from my masters degree. I went to Singapore and United States. My year of 2016 was fill with milestones and new experiences.

But when it comes to 2017, I felt like I slept half of the year and then I woke up. The first half of the year was primarily focused on my trip to Canada mid-year. One month being in Canada was great! I've been waiting many years to go to Canada and my first trip to Vancouver, The Banff and Toronto was, not all perfect but really a good and memorable one. Until I got the news about my grandfather's passing... all had to change when I flew back to Manila unexpectedly.

I did not regret flying home. In fact, I thanked myself for making that decision albeit expensive one. I was with my family.

The rest of the 2017 flew by with nothing really happening in my life.

I guess you could say I was mourning. My grandparents died in July and August. September and October was a transition. I barely got through October and November was the month I had to catch up on life. December was amazing. I turned 30. And then spent the holidays with family.

I can say that at the least, I ended my last month of 2017 with good thoughts and good feelings.

But what did 2017 really bring me?

I am writing this post, post-holiday, and unlike the rest who started putting their reflection online during the eve of New year's. I couldn't come up with any reflection on the last day of December.

Instead, I am posting this now because I now realize what 2017 really meant for me.

The year 2017 taught me the value of my relationships and my family.

The death of my grandparents, although broke us but it made us closer to each other. All the past hurt has been buried under a bridge. Unresolved issues, forgotten. There was really no use trying to bring it up again. Your family will always be there for you and we really don't get to choose our family.

They are the ones to accept you no matter who you really turn up to be.

I thank the year of 2017 even if it has given me a lot of bad memories and bad emotions. Even if the year 2017 had placed me in numerous situations of feeling awkward and lost. I remember how I started my year of 2017 and it was not a good beginning.

But this year, I started 2018 with my family and I will continue to cherish and value that.

Thank you 2017.



No comments:

Post a Comment