Book Worm

Book Worm
So many books to read, so little time.

Books to read in 2018

Books to read in 2018
So many books to read, so little time.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The MOOC hype, is over?

I have barely even started with writing my concept paper for my MOOC thesis and now, it's over?

Well... It doesn't really affect my interest in still pursuing the topic. In fact the instability of MOOCs is the main reason why research is further needed.

I came across this article that confirmed that Sebastian Thrun, the founder of Udacity MOOC Platform has decided to get out from the university environment and focus on vocational courses instead.

Read article: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/education/2013/11/sebastian_thrun_and_udacity_distance_learning_is_unsuccessful_for_most_students.html

It basically says that Udacity failed to accomplish what MOOCs was intended for and that is free education for the Masses. The entire vision of free education for the masses failed simply because the masses don't even have access to the right technology to be successful in engaging with MOOCs in the first place.

I have always been positive with the future of MOOCs, but I also did not agree with the people who feared that MOOCs will disrupt or even replace higher education.

MOOCs, in my opinion, can never replace face to face education. But, it is still a promising innovation.

The question that we should be really asking is, how can we make use of MOOCs in our current education system?

I still don't want to reject the whole idea of MOOCs and just give up on it.

The idea is there, but we just need to do some tweaking. (by that, we mean research)

No comments:

Post a Comment